TANGAZO


Monday, August 19, 2013

'It's been an emotional experience... Catherine and George are my priorities now': Prince William on sleepless nights, changing nappies and the legacy he wants to leave his newborn son


  • .Duke gave his first interview since 'emotional' birth of Prince George
  • .'At the moment, the only legacy I want to pass on to him is to sleep more and maybe not have to change his nappy so many times,' he said
  • .Prince George born on July 22 and left London hospital the following day
  • .On introducing him to the world: 'You’re only too happy to show off your new child and proclaim that he is the best looking or the best everything’
  • .Describes his month-old son as a 'little rascal... like my younger brother'
  • .Reveals he has only been up a night 'a little' and 'not as much as Catherine' 
  • .George's nursery at Kensington Palace is to be African 'bush' themed 
  • .Prince William's Passion: New Hope, New Father is on CNN on September 15


Happy father: The Duke of Cambridge during his first interview since the birth of Prince George, for a documentary to be screened next month
Happy father: The Duke of Cambridge during his first interview since the birth of Prince George, for a documentary to be screened next month
Prince William has spoken for the first time since the birth of his son, Prince George, about the life changing experience of becoming a father.
He describes it as an ‘emotional’ time and one that has left him more affected than he ever thought he would be.
But the future king cannot resist joking about the sleepless nights and endless dirty nappies George has brought with him.
Asked about what legacy he would like to leave to his son, William quips: ‘At the moment, the only legacy I want to pass on to him is to sleep more and maybe not have to change his nappy so many times.’
William gave his first interview since his wife, Kate, gave birth to George on July 22 to US television channel CNN’s Royal Correspondent Max Foster as part of a new documentary about his passion to preserve wildlife in Africa.
Prince William's Passion:  New Hope, New Father airs on CNN on September 15  but excerpts of the interview have been released today.
Both William and Kate have long made clear their desire to start a family and, speaking about the experience of becoming a father himself, William tells Mr Foster that it has been an intensely emotional experience.
‘I think the last few weeks for me have been just a very different emotional experience.  Something I never thought I would feel myself.  And I find, again it’s only been a short period, but a lot of things affect me differently now,’ he says.
Exclusive: William sat down at Kensington palace with CNN's Max Foster for a one-hour special documentary - Prince William's Passion: New Father, New Hope
Exclusive: William sat down at Kensington palace with CNN's Max Foster for a one-hour special documentary - Prince William's Passion: New Father, New Hope
Prince William has given his first official interview since becoming a father
Prince William interview with CNN at Kensington Palace
Range of emotions: The Duke of Cambridge joked about the 'badge of honour' of changing his first nappy but also touched on more serious subjects like the preserving of endangered species in Africa
He recalls the ‘daunting’ moment he introduced Prince George, who is third in line to the throne, to the world on the steps of the private Lindo Wing at St Mary's Hospital in Paddington.
 

'I was on such a high and so was Catherine that we were happy to show him off to whoever wanted to see him. As any new parent knows, you’re only too happy to show off your new child and proclaim that he is the best looking or the best everything.'

- Prince William on revealing Prince George to the world a month ago

But he makes clear that both he and Kate intend to protect their son from the inevitable spotlight that comes with his position with the fierceness that only a parent can understand.
‘Uh, I think more shock and dauntingness [sic] was the feeling I felt (laughing), but it was, the thing is it’s um, I think I was on such a high anyway, and so was Catherine about George that really we were happy to show him off to whoever wanted to see him,’ he said.
‘As any new parent knows, you’re only too happy to show off your new child and, you know, proclaim that he is the best looking or the best everything.’
But asked if he was comfortable about the experience, William admits: ‘Again it’s not somewhere I enjoy being, [but] I know that the position I’m in… that’s what’s required of me to do.
‘It’s nice that people want to see George, so, you know – I’m just glad he wasn’t screaming his head off the whole way through.’ 
Magic moment: A month ago the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge left the Lindo Wing of St Mary's Hospital in London, and the world got to see their newborn son and future king
Magic moment: A month ago the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge left the Lindo Wing of St Mary's Hospital in London, and the world got to see their newborn son and future king
Off home: Prince George cried lustily, like his father when he was born, as he was taken back to Kensington Palace by his parents after being born on July 22
Off home: Prince George cried lustily, like his father when he was born, as he was taken back to Kensington Palace by his parents after being born on July 22

'I WAS TERRIFIED SO HAD TO PRACTICE': WILLIAM ON TAKING GEORGE HOME FROM HOSPITAL

Prince William carefully places the Prince of Cambridge into a car seat
All eyes were upon Prince William as he carefully loaded his newborn son, George, into the back of his Range Rover outside hospital on July 23.
For many new parents, using a car seat is the first - of many – nerve-jangling tests.
To the astonishment of all, William passed with flying colour, clicking the Britax Baby-safe infant carrier, costing around £129, into place without a moment’s hesitation.
But as William admits to CNN, it wasn’t the first time he had done it.
‘Believe me, it wasn’t my first time.  And I know there’s been speculation about that. I had to practice, I really did,’ he laughed.
‘I was terrified that I was going to do some, you know, it was going to fall off or it wasn’t going to close properly.  So, I had actually practiced with that seat - but only once before.’
The prince revealed that his decision to take the wheel as they drove away from hospital was a significant sign of his determination to do things his way.
He said; ‘Well, it’s, I, where I can be I am as independent as, as I want to be.  And same as Catherine and Harry. 
‘We’ve all grown up differently to other generations.  And I very much feel if I can do it myself I want to do it myself. 
‘And there are times where you can’t do it yourself and the system takes over or it’s appropriate to do things differently. 
‘But, I think driving your son and your wife away from, from hospital was really important to me.  And I don’t like fuss so it’s much easier to just do it yourself. ‘
Asked by Mr Foster if he was sending a message to the world, he replies:  ‘I think so, and I’m just doing it the way I know this, you know, if it’s the right way then brilliant, if it’s not, if it’s the wrong way then I’ll try to do it better , but…no I just, I’m quite…I’m reasonably headstrong about what I believe in, and what I go for, and I’ve got fantastic people around me who give me great support and advice.’
And he jokes:  ‘And I didn’t stall! It’s an automatic so it’s alright.’
Asked about baby George’s character, William visibly wilts and says: ‘Well, yeah – he’s a little bit of a rascal, put it that way.  So he either reminds me of my brother or me when I was younger.  I’m not sure. 
‘But, um he’s uh, no, he’s uh, he’s doing very well at the moment. He’s, he does like to keep having his nappy changed.’
William confirms he changed his son’s first nappy and describes it as being a nerve-wracking experience despite all his public training.
‘I did the first nappy, yeah, ‘ he says.
‘A badge of honour, exactly.  I wasn’t allowed to get away with that.  I had every midwife staring at me, “You do it.  You do it”.
Sit down: CNN correspondent Max Foster (back to camera) interviewing Prince William in the gardens of his London home
Sit down: CNN correspondent Max Foster (back to camera) interviewing Prince William in the gardens of his London home
HRH Prince George Alexander Louis of Cambridge
Prince George of Cambridge leaving hospital
Doting dad: William described his son's birth and first month as 'emotional' and described George as a rascal who needs to sleep more 

'HE'LL GROW UP IN THE BUSH': WILLIAM IS PLANNING AFRICAN-THEMED NURSERY FOR GEORGE

Prince William and Prince Harry with children in Lesotho
Prince William has said that he plans to start introducing Africa and its endangered species to George in his nursery at Kensington Palace at an early age.
Using toys and colourful interior design the Duke and Duchess want to 'make him grow up as if he’s in the bush.’
Prince William and Prince Harry carried out their first official tour together in 2010, spending six days Botswana, Lesotho and South Africa (top right)
They visited orphanages, schools and other important projects, as well as seeing the spectacular wildlife in the region.
William has said that he wants George to experience the same things and be inspired in the same way he was, starting with around his cot.
'I’ll have toy elephants and rhinos around the room.  We’ll cover it in sort of, you know, lots of bushes and things like that', he said.
‘But, uh, no, he’s, he’s a little, he’s growing quite quickly actually.  But he’s a little fighter.  He kind of, he wriggles around quite a lot.  And he doesn’t want to go to sleep that much, which is a little bit of a problem…’
‘So you’re up a little bit at night?’ Mr Foster asks.
‘A little bit.  Not as much as Catherine.  But, um, you know, she’s doing a fantastic job [she’s doing] very well,’ the prince says.
The couple’s working cocker spaniel pup, Lupo, hasn’t been forgotten, however.
He said: ‘For me, Catherine, and now little George are my priorities.  And Lupo.
‘He’s coping all right, actually.  As a lot of people know who have got dogs and bringing new-born back, they take a little bit of time to adapt, but, no he’s been all right so far. 
‘He’s been slobbering sort of around the house a bit, so he’s perfectly happy.’
Although it is not terribly PC to admit it, William also jokes that it would be a relief to return to work as an RAF Search and Rescue pilot based on Anglesey, North Wales.
He returned to work on August 7 and last week was finally joined by Kate and their son, who have been staying with her parents in Berkshire.
Indeed on an official engagement last week, the prince admitted his challenging role rescuing stranded mountaineers from Snowdonia was a walk in the past compared to parenting a three-week old baby.
In depth: William and the CNN anchor walk the grounds of Kensington Palace, where Prince George will be brought up in the same flat once occupied by the Queen's sister Princess Margaret
In depth: William and the CNN anchor walk the grounds of Kensington Palace, where Prince George will be brought up in the same flat once occupied by the Queen's sister Princess Margaret
Hopes: The Prince spoke of his desire to allow his son to see Africa and its amazing wildlife in the same way he and Prince Harry did as boys
Hopes: The Prince spoke of his desire to allow his son to see Africa and its amazing wildlife in the same way he and Prince Harry did as boys
Friendly: Journalist Max Foster with the prince, who spoke to CNN because he wanted to ensure more people in America and around the world heard about the work of Tusk
Friendly: Journalist Max Foster with the prince, who spoke to CNN because he wanted to ensure more people in America and around the world heard about the work of Tusk
Having fun: Prince William tickles a young child in Lesotho, southern Africa, and the future king says he would like his son to experience the continent when he grows up
Having fun: Prince William tickles a young child in Lesotho, southern Africa, and the future king says he would like his son to experience the continent when he grows up
Serious message: The Duke of Cambridge has spoken about his hopes for his family and his passion for wildlife conservation in a new documentary
Serious message: The Duke of Cambridge has spoken about his hopes for his family and his passion for wildlife conservation in a new documentary
‘Well, as a few fathers might know, I’m actually quite looking forward to going back to work (laughs). Get some sleep,’ he says.
‘So I’m just hoping the first few shifts I go back I don’t do any night jobs'.
As a new father, Prince William also discusses his hope that one day Prince George will experience the same Africa that he and Prince Harry did as young boys. 
His own love for the continent was instilled in him by his father, Prince Charles, and his late mother Princess Diana.
Prince William tells CNN that he plans to start introducing Africa and its endangered species to his young son in his nursery at Kensington Palace at an early age.
Mr Foster says: ‘You talked about your father possibly whispering [sweet nothings] quietly in your ear as a young boy.  Are you going to do the same for Prince George because it’s such, it’s a cause that you care so deeply about.  Would you like him to pick up on it?
William replies: ‘Probably.  At this rate I’ll probably whisper sweet nothings in his ear.  I’ll have toy elephants and rhinos around the room.  We’ll cover it in sort of, you know, lots of bushes and things like that.  Make him grow up as if he’s in the bush.’
The full interview will be broadcast on CNN internationally on September 15 and in the UK on ITV at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment