TANGAZO


Thursday, July 24, 2014

Start of the Glasgow gold rush? England win TWO medals in women's triathlon as Jodie Stimpson takes gold and Vicky Holland wins bronze


  • .Jodie Stimpson makes up for Olympic heartbreak after missing London 2012 with gold on Day One in Glasgow
  • .Fellow English triathlete Vicky Holland held on to win Bronze following an epic race in hot conditions this afternoon 
  • .After today's victory and third place, England has been propelled to the top of the medals table 

English triathlete Jodie Stimpson won the first gold medal of the Commonwealth Games to banish the pain of missing out on the London Olympics.
Canada's Kirsten Sweetland took silver with England's Vicky Holland making it a dream start for the team by clinching a surprise bronze.
Stimpson, who began swimming in Oldbury Swimming club aged just four powered home to an impressive victory. 
Jessica Stimpson, left and Vicky Holland, right, were awarded received their gold and bronze medals this afternoon after coming first and third in the women's triathlon 
Jessica Stimpson, left and Vicky Holland, right, were awarded received their gold and bronze medals this afternoon after coming first and third in the women's triathlon 
Stimpson has been training for the triathlon since she was introduced to the grueling sport aged just eight by her uncle Derek, winning her first one a year later 
Stimpson has been training for the triathlon since she was introduced to the grueling sport aged just eight by her uncle Derek, winning her first one a year later 
Stimpson managed to hold off the strong challenge from fellow English triathlete Vicky Holland and a Canadian athlete who came second following the epic race
Stimpson managed to hold off the strong challenge from fellow English triathlete Vicky Holland and a Canadian athlete who came second following the epic race
Stimpson said on BBC Radio Five: 'It's just overwhelming. All my family's here and for them to get to be part of it with me is fantastic.' 
'We're a really close team out there and to get another England girl on the podium is fantastic.
'I was most worried about the swim because I know how strong (England team-mate) Lucy Hall is.
'If I wasn't there it was going to be an extremely hard race for me to get there. But I had an awesome swim and the bike was challenging, but it was just trying to be aware really.
'The toughest bit was the run. I wanted to go out strong but quickly realised that so did everybody else and they weren't going to let me run away with it. 'It was a case of, "be sensible, keep running strong and see who's with me on the last half of a lap".
'And then at the top of the hill when I started the descent it was, "right, let's give it all I've got", and it came off.'
She said missing out on London 2012 was 'the kick up the backside I needed' after winning gold in Glasgow. 
The 25-year-old triathlete said: 'I didn't meet the criteria for London, so it wasn't my spot.
'Obviously, I was devastated to miss a home Olympics. But that gave me the kick up the backside that I needed.
'I changed coach and it did wonders. Me and Darren Smith have worked so hard ever since.
'It's absolutely fantastic. This medal is not just mine, it's for all my family and friends and Darren. Thank you so much. This medal is yours.' 
Stimpson breaks down in tears after crossing the line in first place and securing England's first gold medal of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games 
Stimpson breaks down in tears after crossing the line in first place and securing England's first gold medal of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games 
Moments after crossing the line, Stimpson went over to her little niece Erin Hickens who was watching her from the stand 
Moments after crossing the line, Stimpson went over to her little niece Erin Hickens who was watching her from the stand 
Stimpson started swimming at Oldbury Swimming Club in the West Midlands  aged just four. She was taught to swim by her father Ian. 
According to a biography on her website: 'From that day on it was clear that sport was for me, as I would love winning from an early age. I even loved swimming up an age group to be racing with and against the older girls.My uncle Derek (who when I was younger I called Auntie Derek) first introduced me to the sport of triathlon when I was just 8 years old. 
'It didn’t take long for him and my dad to realise I had potential. My training at that age was mainly on a Tuesday evening where I remember cycling around Langley Leisure Centre several times, then straight into the pool for 2 hours swim training, before finally running home with my dad. Quite an intense training day for an 8 year old!I was entered into the Milk Series, which was held at Appleby, near to the Lake District, when I was 9 years old and ended up winning my first triathlon. 
'At this age I wasn’t too worried about whether my glasses were taped to my helmet or my equipment was in the correct place, all I wanted to do was make my dad proud (naturally the competitor in me came out even at 9 years old!)
'That was where and how this whole journey started …… under the guidance of my dad and Auntie, sorry I now mean Uncle Derek, my Triathlon seed had been planted.
Vicky Holland, right, came third, having only began competing in triathlons after discovering the sport while a student in Loughborough University 
Vicky Holland, right, came third, having only began competing in triathlons after discovering the sport while a student in Loughborough University 
Vicky Holland, who won the bronze medal said she had been obsessed by the water since she was just 18 months old. 
In her website biography, she said: 'Both my parents have always been active and encouraged myself and my brother to take part in various school and external clubs – needless to say I wanted to do everything and my long-suffering mum somehow managed to accommodate this. I used to call her my walking diary for her ability in enabling me to fit everything in!
'By the time I left home for university I was an accomplished swimmer and runner – I had won County, District and National titles in athletics (1500m), represented the English Schools AA in International events twice for cross country, once for athletics and reached four National finals as a backstroke swimmer. I’d also won the National Modern Biathlon Champs 3years in a row.
'Within my first week at Loughborough University I was contacted by British Triathlon who tried to encourage me into the sport but in truth, I was reluctant. At that time I wanted to pursue my athletics and swimming further, especially in my new surroundings where I felt my opportunities for improvement were ripe.
'However, in the Easter of 2005 after being invited to a British Triathlon training camp in France, I came home converted having decided to give triathlon a real go. My first full triathlon was later that summer at London Triathlon in the Junior Elite wave which I won, gaining selection for the World Junior Championships. Since then my sporting path has taken many twists and turns and I don’t mind admitting that for a while I struggled to find my place in the sport of triathlon, facing many questions – both internally and from others – about whether I could ever actually "make it".'

No comments:

Post a Comment